Skip to main content

Tubes & Tunnels Part 2


5:00 AM - My Iphones starts to vibrate.  I crawl out of bed and selfishly wish that I was unemployed.
5:03 AM - Coffee hisses out of the Keurig.  I sip it and selfishly wish that i was unemployed.
5:05 AM - Dog goes out.  I stand on the deck, sip my coffee, light a cigarette and selfishly wish that i was unemployed.
5:10 AM - I sink down on the sofa and aimlessly flip through channels.  As i sip on my coffee, I selfishly wish that I was unemployed.
5:15 AM - Dog is back inside.  I toss two scoops of a very expensive salmon based food into her dish.  She is happy that I am not unemployed.
 
5:30 AM - I start watching an infomercial about rotisserie cookers.  I notice that the advertised model causes fat to drip away as it spins while the competitors model results in lost flavour dripping away.  Its all the same grease.  
5:45 AM - Coffee hisses once again from the Keurig.  I coax the dog outside as an excuse for me to smoke another cigarette.  She is my willing accomplice.
5:50 AM - I obsessively scroll through instagram.  I double-tap everything, even if I don't like it.
5:55 AM - I stand naked infront of the bathroom mirror in an attempt to motivate myself to workout.
5:56 AM - I step on and off of the bathroom scale.  After 6 hops, I average the results.

6:00 AM - Benchpress  - 220lbs - 3 sets of 12
6:10 AM - Sit-ups - 3 sets of 15
6:15 AM - Chin-ups - 3 sets of 8
6:20 AM - Chair dips - 3 sets of 25

6:30 AM - I shower.
6:40 AM - Teeth freshly cleaned and deodorant applied.
6:45 AM - Dressed.  No Tie.  Ties are for assholes.
6:50 AM - Tie on.
6:55 AM - More Coffee.  I lure the dog outside with a dentabone.  I smoke another cigarette.
7:00 AM - I prepare my lunch.  3 carrots chopped, 1 cucumber sliced and one paper towel wrapped banana all jammed into a ziplock bag.  The ziplock bag is jammed into my backpack.

7:10 AM - I leave the house... walking towards downtown.
7:20 AM - I use my MasterCard to buy cigarettes at a gas station.  She knows my brand.  I'm ashamed by this.  We don't exchange pleasantries.
7:30 AM - I wait inline for 10 minutes for an extra large coffee with two milk.  The server has a nervous tick that causes her to do what looks like chewing gum.  She has no memory of my daily visit or what i would like to order.  I am angered by this.  We are forced to exchange pleasantries.
7:40 AM - I pretend not to see a homeless person outside of the coffee shop asking for change.
7:45 AM - I pass the city library and contiplate turning around and calling in sick to work.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shanks and Sugar Plums

Each night before I go to bed, I prop my iPad up on the end table next to the bed to watch some copywritten tv shows on YouTube.  More specifically I watch old episodes of National Geographics "Lock-Up".  There is nothing better than being whisked away to dream land with the pleasant thoughts of Arizona's Tent City, or any one the million county lock ups in the good ol' US of A.  Aside from learning that that I can melt the end of a toothbrush into a knife if I ever get into a jam, I have also learned something interesting about myself (well being honest, I have always known this, just never wanted to think to much about it,) I don't seem to think to much about myself. When I start thinking about how I would handle time in the big house, my mind goes immediately to what i think is probably a pretty fucked up place.  I just think about what it would be like to be all alone in the yard with no one to talk to.  I think about how jealous i would be of the popular in

Just Like Mom Part 1

One of my favourite memories as a child is a horrrible incident that ended with my sister in tears. When I was about 7 and my sister 8, she lived for only one thing, a TV show.  Cable TV wasn't really a thing yet, and one of the only channels we had access to on our Sony dial set was a game show called "Just Like Mom".  The premise of the show was pretty simple, if not a little bit overdone (pun intended.) Three mother/daughter teams would compete in a first round of Honeymoon style trivia to the likes of what's your mothers favourite colour or who is your daughters favourite movie star (if it matters, hers was Tom Cruise and mine was of course Elvira... I was a weird kid.)  No matter the score, there were no losers and all teams moved onto the final round - The Bake Off. Each daughter would have access to seemingly endless selection a of ingredients with the goal of baking the best cookies, which of course would be taste tested by mom.  True to the 1980's,

Daily Affirmations

I take dozens of photos in the bathroom mirror each week.  I find that it really helps to set the tone for the day by providing yourself with the opportunity to start each and every morning by harshly criticizing youself on a microscopic level. Pinch zoom allows you to do this one pixel at a time. I like to fixate on the random little spots dotted across my pasty white skin.  I try new ways to suck in my stomach, and bend myself in random and unnatural positions in wasted effort to falsify a "V" shaped body like the guys I see running at the park.  I flex my arms like I'm in competition.  I am reminded over and over again that my first tattoo was a bad idea, and my body hair coverage resembles what I imagine it would look like if Robin Williams had a child with Ron Jeremy.  That same body hair is quickly transitioning in colour from a handsome brown to a creepy santa like white. The hair (along with my hair covered  fupa) is the only part of me that resembles Ron